PLEASE NOTE: THIS SECTION IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
The Founding of
Fiskeville Tabernacle Baptist Church of Hope Rhode Island was organized in 1873. Church records tell us that “in 1872 Rev. Benjamin B. Cottrell, obeying the voice of God to establish a house of worship in this village, solicited funds amounting to $1664.41. In March 1873, Peleg A. Walton donated a 40’x50’ lot to Rev. Cottrell ‘to be used for the worship of Almighty God.’ The building committee was Rev. Cottrell, Henry Hawkins, and William Randall. Albert Hill was contractor.”
Rev. Cottrell served as pastor for 23 years, and there have been approximately 30 pastors since that time. Over the years, the church has witnessed the ordinations of several pastors, including Walter B. Greene, Harry W. McIntire, and Joyce B. Duerr.
In 1879 the church dropped its relationship with Six Principle Baptists, and in 1898 joined the Free Baptist Association. Later it associated with the local church group and its national group known as the Northern Baptist Convention, later renamed American Baptist Churches the USA, with its local ABC of Rhode Island.
A building renovation program was conducted from 1913 to 1920. Wagon sheds at the rear of the church burned in 1924, threatening the church building. In the early 1930s evangelistic crusades were held at the church.
Tabernacle Baptist Church ~ 182 Seven Mile Road, PO Box 67, Hope RI 02831 ~ email@example.com We gather for worship at 9 am each Sunday morning.