Fiskeville Tabernacle Baptist Church of Hope Rhode Island was organized in 1873. Church records tell us that “in 1872 Rev. Benjamin B. Cottrell, obeying the voice of God to establish a house of worship in this village, solicited funds amounting to $1664.41. In March 1873, Peleg A. Walton donated a 40’x50’ lot to Rev. Cottrell ‘to be used for the worship of Almighty God.’ The building committee was Rev. Cottrell, Henry Hawkins, and William Randall. Albert Hill was contractor.”
Rev. Cottrell serves as pastor for 23 years, and there have been approximately 27 pastors since that time. This church has witnessed the ordinations of Walter B. Greene, Harry W. McIntire, Harold VanBroekhoven and Joyce B. Duerr.
In 1879 the church dropped its relationship with Six Principle Baptists, and in 1898 joined the Free Baptist Association. Later is associated with the local church group and its national group known as the Northern Baptist Convention, later renamed American Baptist Churches of RI and of the USA.
A building renovation program was conducted from 1913 to 1920. Wagon sheds at the rear of the church burned in1924, threatening the church building. In the early 1930s evangelistic crusades were held at the church. From 1966 to 1971 the church was yoked with Phenix Baptist Church.
In September 1995 the church called Dr. Joyce B. Duerr as pastor. In September 1996 the Rev. David Picciano, the immediate past pastor, was recognized as Pastor Emeritus. The 125th anniversary was celebrated in 1998 and in 1999 we celebrated the ordination of our pastor, the Rev. Dr. Joyce B. Duerr.
In 2002 the sanctuary was repainted and carpeting was installed. This project was made possible through a bequest from Ralph Remington who had served as Church Treasurer from 1924 through 1965.
In April 2004 we dedicated the newly installed vertical wheel chair lift for the total cost of $21,440.92. This was made possible through a grant of $10,000 from the Rhode Island Baptist Home Board and individual gifts and pledges. This lift enables those with limited mobility to gain access to the sanctuary.
In 2005 major projects were undertaken to bring our 132 year old building into compliance with the new Rhode Island State Fire Code Standards. A second egress from the sanctuary was added. A new furnace has been installed, replacing the 1938 furnace, and a code compliant room was constructed around the furnace in the church vestry. Exterior doors have been replaced to provide for safer egress from the building. Funding for these renovations were provided through the bequest of Anna S. Remington.
A recognized 2010 church, we continue to focus our ministry on pastoral care and outreach. In 2007 we completed our three year cycle as participants in the Natural Church Development program. Weekly we gather for worship in this historic building and welcome all who seek to grow with us in our journey of faith in Jesus Christ.
Tabernacle Baptist Church ~ 182 Seven Mile Road, PO Box 67, Hope RI 02831 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org